kt softbank KT and Softbank Sign Cloud Joint VentureKT the second largest South Korean mobile operator is entering into a $65 million cloud joint venture with Softbank Corporation. This new cloud venture set to kick off in September will focus on disaster recovery and provide data center and cloud services to Japanese companies.

The ownership of this venture will be distributed into 51% for KT and Softbank will own the remaining 49%. The data center will be built in Korea where the first facility is set to be completed by October. When completed the data center will be capable of operating 10,000 server computers. Since the earthquake hit Japan on March 11, Japanese companies have been looking at Korea to store their data.

“South Korea’s cloud computing services are getting more interest amid growing demand from Japanese companies hoping to operate data servers in places safer from quakes and tsunamis,” KT said.

KT announced plans to rise as the “cloud computing hub of Asia,” providing cloud services to 1.5 billion people in a 2,000 kilometer radius.

Hottest IT Skills in 2013 – Cloud, Mobile and BI
In 2012, more than 1.7 million jobs in the field of cloud computing remained unoccupied, according to analysts firm IDC. READ MORE
How Cloud Computing Influences Digital Marketing
Cloud marketing has the ability to drastically change the ways in which they reach and engage their audience, particularly with regard to distributing and storing mission-critical data. READ MORE
Gartner: BYOD to Take Center Stage For Mobile App Use by 2017
More and more companies encourage their employees to work on their devices, thus reducing the cost of computer equipment, but also increase the cost to maintain licenses and safety. READ MORE
Maturity in the Cloud: Start Thinking Like a Grown-Up
Despite the inclination to wait until all of the cloud’s kinks have been worked out, holding off on cloud initiatives until the industry matures won’t guarantee success. READ MORE
PwC: Cloud, SaaS and Mobile Are Changing Software Industry
The software industry is undergoing major changes by trends such as cloud, SaaS, mobile technology and the “consumerization of IT”. READ MORE
10 Cloud Computing Game Changers
Here are the ten most influential cloud computing companies, and the reason why. READ MORE