Today’s Startup Battlefield featured newcomer Bitcasa, showing you what a world with infinite storage will look like. CEO Tony Gauda demonstrated the power of Bitcasa, by streaming not one but two 1080 dpi movies – and at the same time.
Why you’d care about Bitcasa:
- Infinite storage: Bitcasa makes the hard drive infinite. Through seamless integration between the cloud and any operating system, users can store terabytes of data on any device
- Security, privacy: Client-side encryption means that data is secure and private. Only the user can see their data
- Fast, predictive: Bitcasa employs the same methodology that credit card companies use when detecting fraud to create predictive fetching/caching/streaming, which determines what data a user wants
- Bitcasa has over 20 patents pending
Since starting in February 2011, Bitcasa has received $1.3M in seed funding from VCs including Andreesen-Horowitz. The three co-founders all represent critical areas for Bitcasa:
- Tony Gaudacomes from MasterCard, where he developed the security program that detects fraudulent activity on credit cards, and has an extensive background in AI and software dev
- Joel Andren has extensive marketing and community development experience from startups as well as VeriSign
- Kevin Blackham worked with Mozy on infrastructure growth.